Table of Contents
MEDILIG – Medical Life Guard: An Electronic Health Record (EHR) / Electronic Medical Record (EMR) cross-platform software for the design, implementation, and use of autonomous, open, database models for multilingual medical knowledge management systems from primary care to continuing care.
At A Glance
Fully tested, fully operational open-platform EHR/EMR software for health professionals and IT developers. The main feature of the project is the extensive continuous health care record schema of the database built into popular and robust relational database management systems, Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL server, with multilingual, international health coding standards. Create entry forms, catalogues, and reports with a minimal effort from rapid application development environments such as Microsoft Office – Access and OpenOffice – Base. Connect to web hosting services and/or use email to exchange and share medical information with others.
MEDILIG can be easily adopted to the workflow of a clinic or the practise of a physician. It may also customised as a personal health record to include all the data from patient encounters.
- Supports the management of patient’s administrative and clinical data including:
- medical transcription
- multimedia documents
- Fully tested and operational on the neurosurgery domain with a lot of data
- It can be tailored quickly to cover precisely the needs of any medical specialty or physician
- It can be linked easily to other databases
- An extensive database schema for continuous health care that follow standard clinical practice terms with an easy nomenclature for developers
- Complete separation of the database schema from the presentation layer, independent development of the database layer
- Visualization of MEDILIG schema as an ontology in Protege or as a graph in DBVisualizer
- Multilingual look-up tables with international health care coding standards (ICD10, OPCS44, NHS, LOINC, SNOMED) for the encoding of information
- Microsoft Technology platform version based on popular SQL Server and Access products
- Linux open software platform version based on MySQL Server and OpenOffice Base products
- Truly rapid application development thanks to the powerful integrated environment of SQL Server – Access and/or MySQL – OpenOffice
- No coding for creation of catalogues, reports, entry forms and navigation through them
- Secure and easy database administration with Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL server
- MEDILIG is open software therefore it has all the advantages of open software such as non-exclusive support from a community of technical users and developers. HEALIS is coordinating MEDILIG support, development and dissemination of information to the users
- MEDILIG is distributed freely without any charge
- MEDILIG is a collaborative software tool and it can be part of a collaborative software platform for health professionals
- MEDILIG is ideal for research and education thanks to the open database architecture
- MEDILIG maintenance is a relatively easy task and can be automated for the non-expert, non-technical user
The full documentation of the project can be accessed on [this post].
NeuroHEALIS vs MEDILIG
NeuroHEALIS was the precursor of MEDILIG, a health information system that was developed for the Department of Neurosurgery in the University of Athens situated at “Evangelismos” General Hospital. NeuroHEALIS was fully operational during the period from 2006 to 2009 with several publications, presentations and pilot studies that were based on its use.